Prescription Sports Goggles Come in Handy for Lots of Things

Do You Have Blepharitis?

If your upper and lower eyelids become itchy, swollen, or coated with small flakes of dandruff, visit or call an optometrist soon. You may have blepharitis to treat. Blepharitis is an inflammation that develops in your upper and/or lower eyelids. Without the appropriate eye exam and treatment, the inflammation in your eyelids can become worse. Learn more about blepharitis and how to treat the condition below.

How Do You Get Blepharitis?

Blepharitis affects the upper and/or lower lids of your eyes. Your eyelids can become inflamed if you expose them to bacteria or if you suffer from severe dandruff, rosacea, or another condition of the scalp and skin. The disorder can become worse with time. 

Your eyelids can become swollen and irritated when blepharitis develops in them. Your eyelids may also itch and develop dandruff-like flakes or scales on them. The itchiness in your eyelids can be intense over time. You may accidentally scratch the surface of your eyeballs in an attempt to relieve the itch in your eyelids.

Although the symptoms of blepharitis can lessen over time, the disorder won't subside completely. The most effective way to manage blepharitis is to have an eye doctor do it for you. 

How Do You Diagnose and Treat Blepharitis?

An eye doctor, also known as an optometrist, will need to examine your upper and lower eyelids before they can confirm you have blepharitis. Several other conditions can cause inflammation of the eye and eyelid, including pink eye and dry eye. Blepharitis can trigger other eye conditions as well. An optometrist must diagnose your inflammation correctly before they can treat you. 

If an eye specialist determines you have blepharitis during your exam, they'll prescribe various treatments to you. An eye doctor may base your treatments on the cause of your eyelid inflammation rather than your symptoms.

For example, if microscopic organisms, such as bacteria or skin mites, caused the inflammation in your eyelids, an eye doctor will ask you to use antibacterial medications to treat it. The medications destroy the organisms so they don't multiply and irritate your eyelids again.

If dandruff, rosacea, or another skin ailment has caused your eyelid inflammation, an optometrist will consult your regular doctor during your care. Along with an optometrist's treatments, the treatments prescribed by your regular doctor can improve your overall health. You may need to see both doctors to manage or keep the inflammation in your eyelids under control.

Learn about blepharitis and how to manage it by contacting an optometrist today.